Saturday, December 8, 2007

Speaking Out

It is so sad and worrying to see the current state of affairs in our beloved Malaysia. I must admit that I have been reading blogs for the last 1 year and to see the how we have deteriorated to this level is indeed SO VERY SAD. Sitting here it so overwhelming and I wish to give my two cents worth on a variety of issues but quite honestly I just don't know where to start or to begin. Politics, education, race, economy, the media and the government are just a few of the topics which I have an opinion of. Comments coming from a man on the street who has nothing but a SPM level education may not carry much weight if any at all but I still feel the need to say my piece as I am a Malaysian Citizen and thus have a right to voice my views however insignificant it may be. Further to that I firmly believe that if more Malaysians like me, who I sincerely believe constitute the majority of the population speaks up and out we can make a difference. Which is why I have chosen to talk about speaking out in my first blog.

Before even touching on matters or topics which I mentioned above I personally believe that I must voice out why I intend to finally speak out. More than once I have added comments to blogs which I have read under the 'anonymous' tag. I feel it is high time more of us should come out and be heard and let our 'leaders' know that we are not just merely voters or people trying to eke out a living and survive. As a parent, safeguarding the future of our children is why we work so hard. Unfortunately the current state of affairs is rather worrisome. The threat of racial violence is becoming more apparent than ever before (since May 13th 1969). Violent demonstrations which we as normal citizens never dreamed of witnessing on our very own shores is now happening in front of our very own eyes. Why has it come to this? How is it that a country known all over the world for its' religious and racial tolerance the past 25 to 30 years is slowly going down the road of racial riots?

Speaking out can make a difference, I may be only a little voice but a little voice put together with other little voices becomes a thundering roar which no government can deny or ignore. Touching on the media, we are denied true and fair reporting on anything and everything. Personally I have stopped buying any newspapers and only on occasion watch the news. I have instead turned to the internet and watch foreign news coverage to get fair, true and concise reports and news. Imagine that!! A local individual turning to foreign media to know what is really happening in his own country. How sad is that???!!! What of other under privileged citizens who can’t afford the internet or cable television??? They are fed biased with one sided views, opinions and news and as such form an opinion which is unfair and unjust.

I firmly believe, we, the current generation of citizens have evolved and matured to better understand the intricacies of politics and governance. A large percentage of us have had some form of exposure overseas be it via education and or occupation. It is this exposure which endows us the experience and knowledge that what is going on in our dear beloved country is not right. However we do not question the powers that be for fear of persecution. We have been institutionalised to think that whatever is done by the present government is for own good and therefore is beyond question. However as I have mentioned we have evolved and have matured. Moral values, such as tolerance and respect for each other which have been instilled in us by our parents while growing up in a multi racial country has given us a solid foundation. However this very foundation is now being threatened. The very essence that makes Malaysia unique is now under threat. Long have we enjoyed racial harmony, celebrating each and every religious festival together. Sharing our joy and happiness. Now it seems for the sake of support and political greed race is being used to garner support. Dividing and destroying what makes us special and unique. We need to look to ourselves really if we want this to carry on happening. History has taught us so much, our past mistakes are lessons learnt which we need to heed. We just cannot afford to let past mistakes haunt us instead it should teach us not to repeat those very same mistakes. Again I reiterate that we as individuals should speak out and be heard. We don’t want racial tensions, we don’t want race related issues being raised where we begin to be suspicious of each other due to different races. Living together in peace and harmony is what every individual wants. More so people like me with a young family. We have so much to live for. Our children have much to live for and their future has to be secure.

This is why , now more than ever our voices need to be heard. The silent majority of peace loving Malaysians who want nothing more than peace and harmony for ourselves and our family. To live life without fear and give our children a future. Say no to any form of racial discrimination in every aspect of life. Let us all come together and make our voices be heard. Come out of our shells and do what is right for the sake of our family and national unity. I sincerely hope and pray more loyal citizens such as myself come out to make ourselves heard and make a stand. The time is now!!!!

2 comments:

Pocahontas said...

Congratulations on your blog. Good to know that you believe in speaking out.

Cheers, Jad

Maverick SM said...

First, congrats, you now have a blog. Secondly, SPM level education does not mean you are less intellectual; it's just you have less paper Q. However, intellectuality comes from the nurturing of the brain through knowledge acquisition and imparting. You are one of this.

I agree that we shouldn't be anonymous.